Changing device model name is not something every Android users wants do but it’s still a useful trick for some users who want to do it. It was really very easy for the rooted users to change Android device model name on KitKat, Lollipop and older versions of the OS but everything is changed after the release of Android 6.0 Marshmallow.
Starting from Android Marshmallow and above, simply changing the ro.product.model entry in /system/build.prop will not change the device’s name everywhere. The build.prop change can only be seen in Settings > About phone.
Gammerson.com is not responsible for any damage happened to your device(s) while following this guide, Proceed at your own risk.
- A rooted Android phone or tablet.
- ADB and Fastboot drivers setup on your computer.
- OEM’s USB drivers installed on your PC.
- A root file browser app installed on the device.
- Root file manager apps require BusyBox to work, so the app, open it and install the BusyBox script too.
- Ensure that your phone has at least 70-80% charged to prevent the accidental shutdown in-between the process.