In this guide, we will show you different methods on how to install Lineageos Rom on any Android device using a custom recovery.Before starting makers sure to follow below steps and follow each step carefully.
To flash a ROM for your Android device you first need to meet the following prerequisites:
- An Android smartphone that has a custom recovery installed (ClockworkMod, TWRP, Etc.)
- A custom ROM that was developed or ported for your device.
- A microSD Card to hold the ROM file temporarily.
How to flash Lineage OS ROM using Flashing
- Obtain a ROM of your choice; many can be found in your devices development forum on Gammerson or an alternate Android development site.
- Once you have downloaded the ROM File, mount your phone’s SD card and copy there zip file.
- Power off the device and then boot up to recovery, it is different per device. If you are unsure how to boot up to your Android device’s recovery menu, then look it up on your device page in this wiki, the forums or other tutorials on your device.
- In your phone’s custom recovery bootloader, locate the menu options which allow you to wipe the phone.
- Whenever changing roms, it is a good idea to make a Nandroid or BART backup first, then wipe Data/Factory and Dalvik-Cache, OR, in the case of 4Ext Recovery Touch users, you can do a standard full wipe in one click:
- go to WIPE / FORMAT > Format all partitions EXCEPT SD Card, before flashing the new ROM, or if the ROM you want to flash comes with an Aroma Installer, you can do the standard full wipe in Aroma as it usually comes with that option before proceeding with the installation.
- Once your phone has been wiped, go back up to the root of the menu and select ‘Flash Zip from SD Card’ (the text may be different in your Recovery).
- Locate the ROM.The zip file you wish to flash.
- Confirm the flash by following the on-screen instructions (i.e.: pressing the trackball, pressing the call button, etc.)
- If no errors arise during the flashing process, then the ROM flash was successful. Reboot the device.
How to Install Lineage os ROM using ROM Manager
- First, download and install the ROM Manager app on your Android phone.
- After installing, launch the app and from the main menu, tap on ‘Flash ClockworkMod Recovery.‘
- You’ll be asked to confirm your phone’s model. Select your phone’s model and your phone will reboot and flashing CWM.
- Now, before you go installing any custom ROMs, I suggest you back up your current ROM. To do that, tap on the ‘Backup Current ROM.’
- Give the backup a name and then click OK.
- You will be asked to allow ROM Manager superuser access, tap on ‘Allow’ to grant this. The backup process can take a little while, so make sure you aren’t expecting any important calls.
- Once done, reopen ROM Manager and tap on ‘Install ROM from SD card.’
- Find the folder where you placed the .zip file in. A box should pop up with three options like the image shown below.
- Tick the ‘Wipe Data and Cache’ and ‘Wipe Dalvik’ boxes, and then click OK. The phone will now reboot and start installing your custom ROM. This might take a little while, sometimes up to 15 minutes, so be patient and don’t panic if the device appears to have frozen.
Once the phone has booted up, you will be prompted to enter your Google account details. Congrats, you have successfully installed a new ROM and you now have a brand new ROM to explore!
How to Install Lineage OS ROM using TWRP Recovery
TWRP recovery let’s you do a number of cool stuff but the whole point of having a custom recovery is to be able to flash unsigned .zip files. These .zip files could be anything from a custom kernel, boot, recovery, MODs or full custom ROMs.
Let’s see how to flash a custom ROM on any Android device using TWRP recovery.
- Download and transfer the custom ROM you wish to flash to your device’s storage.
- Boot your device into TWRP recovery.
- Select “Wipe” from TWRP main menu and do a “Swipe to Factory Reset” on the bottom of screen.
└ Note: This will factory reset your device. If your custom ROM doesn’t require a factory reset, then simply skip this step.
- Go back to TWRP main menu, tap on “Install” and select the custom ROMs .zip file that you transferred to your device in Step 1.
- After selecting the .zip file, do “Swipe to Confirm Flash” on the bottom of screen to begin the custom ROM installation process. This may take some time.
- Once your ROM is successfully flashed, you’ll see “Wipe cache/dalvik” option, select it and then do “Swipe to wipe” on bottom of screen.
- Once cache & dalvik wipe completes, hit the “Back” button on-screen and then select “Reboot System” button.
How to Install Lineage OS ROM using CWM Recovery
ClockworkMod Recovery can be used to flash lineageos ROM or any other custom ROM on Android devices. There’s a “install zip from sdcard” option that will let you install a ROM zip file on your device. Being the most popular custom recovery for Android, most users prefer it over other solutions. Also, it’s fairly easy to use CWM recovery to install CM or any other ROM. Here is the step by step guide:
This guide can be used to install custom ROM on your Android device. Not to mention that your device should be rooted and should have CWM Recovery installed. Also, please download the custom ROM zip file that you will be installing. Some of the popular ROMs are:Lineageos rom,
Lineageos rom, Modaco, AOKP, Slim ROM, MIUI. There are many other ROMs for different Android devices. You can choose the one that suits your needs the best.
Take care of following tasks before you proceed with flashing custom ROM:
Task 1: Install USB drivers for your device on your PC.
Task 2: Be sure to backup your data including Contacts, SMS / MMS, APN & MMS Settings as well as photos and videos stored on your device’s internal or external storage.
Task 3: Make sure that your device is well charged. Ideally, the battery level should be around 60-80%. The more the better.
Task 4: USB Debugging should be enabled on your device.
Important: Most of the custom ROM will not have Google Apps in them. So, you will have to download and install GApps manually.
Done with preliminary precautionary steps? So, here’s the guide:
How to Lineage os from SD Card in CWM Recovery
Step 1: Download the ROM zip file and copy it on root of the SD card of your device. Also copy the GApps zip file, if you want to install Google Apps too.
Step 2: Disconnect your device from the computer and boot it into CWM recovery mode:
- Switch off your device
- Press & hold Volume buttons + Power button to boot into bootloader mode (Note: button combination may vary depending on your device)
- Now select “Recovery” option using Power button to boot into CWM recovery mode
You are now in CWM recovery more. Use volume keys to navigate up & down and use Power button to select an option.
Step 3 (Optional but important): Take a NANDROID backup of your ROM:
- From Recovery screen, select “Backup and Restore”
- Now select “Backup” to start the nandroid backup process.
After backup is done, navigate back to main recovery screen.
Step 4: Now select “wipe data/factory reset” option. When it asks for confirmation, select “Yes” to confirm data wipe process. Then navigate back to main recovery.
Step 5: Now you will install the ROM zip file that you placed to SD card of your device in step 1. Follow these steps:
- Select option “install zip from sdcard”
- Then select “choose zip from sdcard”
- Now select the zip file that you want to install (the file that you copied onto the SD card)
- When it asks for confirmation, select “Yes” to start installation
The custom ROM installation will now begin. Wait for it till its complete.
Note: If you copied any other zip file alongside the ROM file (like GApps zip), repeat the above steps to install that zip file.
Step 6: After installation is complete, navigate back to main recovery screen and select “reboot system now” option to reboot your device.
Your device will now reboot. Please note that first boot may take some time, so be patient and do not interrupt the boot process.
When it boots up, your device will have custom ROM installed. Same steps can be followed to install any zip file like Google Apps on your device.
How to install Lineage OS using RUU Flashing
- Connect your Android device to your computer. Most ROM Upgrade Utilities (RUUs) are .exe files which will only run in Microsoft Windows natively or in Linux/Mac OS X via Wine
- Download the RUU for your device, some can be found here at PCD Phones
- Run the RUU with your phone plugged in to your computer via its USB cable.
- Follow the RUU’s instructions for flashing.
- Unless errors arise your device is now flashed.
App Installs/ROM Feature Installs via Flashing
Some ROMs have added features that are available to flash.
- To Flash the App/Rom Feature you must first download the .zip file.
- Mount your devices SD card and copy the .zip file over.
- Boot up to your devices custom recovery.
- Wipe your Dalvik-Cache in the Wipe Menu. And then go back to the recovery’s main menu.
- This step may vary per device, there should be an option that says “Flash .zip from SD Card”, select it.
- Select the .zip file you wish to flash.
- Confirm flashing of .zip file.
- Wait for the file to flash; and if successful, reboot.